Isn’t there something wonderful about experimenting with baking? Combining old classics can sometimes result in a brand new favorite and an overwhelming sense of accomplishment. No one really needs a reminder about what a smash hit Brookies were, right? Besides, what could possibly top two classics smashed together into a new super favorite?
What about stepping out of your comfort zone and reaching for more? Sure, everyone knows that chocolate chip cookies are one of the best baked goods out there. But in a competition of who’s the best cookie, Oreo can certainly hold its own, and they just keep adding more fan-favorite flavors. Adding Oreos takes everyone’s favorite baked goods couple and adds a third wheel. Thankfully this trio lacks any jealously and is all love.
Slutty Brownies first took the internet baking blog scene by storm back in 2011. An American dessert that combines scrumptious chocolate chip cookies, the classic goodness of Oreos, and the moist deliciousness of brownies. The resulting dessert is a mishmash of classic favorites that is out of this world.
Some people may be concerned with the Oreo center. It’s hard to imagine crunchy Oreos competing with the soft gooeyness of brownies. Fear not. The creme filling and shortbread cookies become a melty center of deliciousness after baking. Like with all fulfilling threesomes, the Oreos become the agent that keeps this trio from falling apart. While it can’t advertise to fix your love life, this ménage à trois is 100% guaranteed to have no homewrecking effects.
Don’t let all the ingredients scare you off. It may look like a hot mess, but they come together pretty quickly once you get to it. Take a breath and dive on in.
Slutty Brownies Recipe
The Brownie Layer
- 10 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 1¼ cup Sugar
- ¾ cup Cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 2 large Eggs
- ½ cup Flour
The Oreo Layer
- 1 package of Oreos
The Cookie Dough Layer
- ½ cup Unsaltet butter (at room temp.)
- ¼ cup Brown sugar
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1¼ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
The Brownie Batter
- In a medium saucepan use medium-high heat to melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the sugar and cocoa, and whisk to stir until combined. Remove from heat.
- Continue to whisk the butter mixture as you add the salt, vanilla, and eggs until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Lastly, add in the flour and make sure to mix it well. Set the batter aside.
The Cookie Dough
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl cream the sugar, the brown sugar, and the butter together with a mixer. Make sure to scrape the sides down as you add the egg and vanilla. Cream until well mixed.
- Add the flour, the salt, the baking soda, and the baking powder. Mix on low until everything is blended.
- Use a spatula or wooden spoon and fold in the chocolate chips. Set the dough aside.
Construction of the Slutty Brownie Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use a 9x9 inch baking pan. Line the bottom with a layer of tinfoil. Spray the tinfoil with cooking spray.
- Put the cookie dough into the bottom of the pan. Press down firmly to create an even layer covering the entire bottom of the pan with dough.
- Use the Oreos to create a single layer on top of the cookie dough. You do not need to overlap and there will be some space between them.
- Pour the browner batter over the first two layers. Make sure that the batter is evenly spread over all of the Oreos and covering all of the previous layers.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. You should test the brownies to be sure that they are properly cooked. You can do this by inserting a knife into the center of the brownies. If the knife comes out sludgy then they aren't ready yet and you can give them another five minutes. Check again. If the knife comes out clean they are done and you can remove them from the oven. Let them cool for at least an hour but two is better. Cut the brownies into squares and serve.
Slutty Brownies Recipe FAQ
Is there an easier way to make Slutty Brownies?
Yes! You can substitute box mixes for the cookie dough and the brownie batter. Simply follow the instructions on the box and pour in layers as you would with the 'from scratch' recipe. *However! Some box brownie batters will yield more batter than you actually need. If you decide to use a box brownie mix pour just enough batter to completely cover the Oreos in an even layer.
Do I have to use a specific kind of Oreos?
Nope. Any kind of Oreos will work. Regular. Double stuffed. You could even get really crazy and use your favorite flavored cream and add a little peppermint or pumpkin spice to your Slutty Brownies!
If I made them ahead of time? Or I have leftovers? How can I store them?
You can use an airtight container or a ziplock bag, stored at room temperature. They will keep fresh for up to three days.
Can I freeze Slutty Brownies?
Yep. To freeze the brownies wrap them individually in two pieces of parchment paper. Then wrap in another layer of tinfoil. They can be frozen for up to three months. When you are ready to eat them simply stick them in the fridge for twenty-four hours to thaw. You can then pop them in the microwave for a few seconds. Or you can reheat them in the oven at 350 degrees(F) for five minutes.
A little extra tips for baking Slutty Brownies
- If you’re having troubles with the cookie dough sticking to your hands you can try dusting your hands with flour or dipping them in water.
- When cooling: move to a wire rack. After ten minutes, flip the brownies out onto the rack and let them finish cooling on it.
- If you can’t help yourself and have to try these Slutty Brownies fresh from the oven they’ll fall apart pretty easily. Serve fresh from the oven brownies with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra melty, messy treat!
Leave a Reply