The cucumber salad is very classic and common with German ancestry. The dish is popular and currently available in America. In German origin, they refer to the dish as Gurkensalat. The salad is light and very refreshing. The procedure for making it is also very easy. There are different versions of the salad, one involves vinegar sauce, and the other is creamy. Below is a sample recipe for a cucumber salad.
Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt
- 1½ cups of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Peel the cucumbers and slice them into thin pieces, and put them in a bowl. Peel the onion and cut it thinly also. Mix the cucumber, sweet onion pieces, and the sea salt in a bowl, then use a plastic wrap to cover the mixture. Allow the ingredients of the medicine to sit for about thirty minutes.
- Use a colander set to help drain water in the mixture from step one. Keep stirring until all the water drains for about thirty minutes. After draining water from the combination, transfer it into a bigger bowl.
- Put mayonnaise, sugar, garlic powder, black pepper, vinegar, and dill into a bowl and whisk until the mixture result is smooth. Pour out the mixture over the mixture in step three. Stir and ensure the mixture coats the vegetables.
- Cover the bowl with the contents using plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for about two hours.
Tips to making the cucumber salad
Persian cucumbers are preferable because of their small size. These cucumbers also have lesser seeds, and they do not contain as much water as the old cucumbers. The texture of the Persian cucumbers is even better, and if you cannot find them, the English cucumbers are as good.
Beware not to use so much garlic, especially if you prefer the natural one to the garlic powder. Too much garlic overwhelms other flavors in the salad.
Regular balsamic is better and effective as well, so you do not have to go for the balsamic vinegar that is thick and expensive.
You can work with eggplant and sweat out all the moisture from the cucumbers.
The dried dill in the ingredients is replaceable with fresh dill and vice versa.
A mandoline slicer goes a long way in helping to slice the cucumber and the onions.
Cucumber Salad FAQ
What type of cucumber should i use for the salad recipe?
Persian or English cucumbers are the best. The English cucumbers have few seeds and more flavor. They are also smaller, which means you will have to use more than the amount you would use for the regular cucumbers.
What type of onion should i use?
The red onion is perfect for use because of certain reasons. It is good to eat when raw, and they also give the salad a good color. However, make sure you slice the onions into very thin pieces. If you cannot find the red onion at all, use the white but only a pinch. However, it will have a more prevalent flavor in the salad. Do not use the yellow onion at all.
How long does cucumber salad last?
Considering the recipe above, we have vinegar among the ingredients and also its use in the steps. The vinegar may help keep the salad for about two weeks if put in the refrigerator.
What are the health benefits of eating cucumber salad?
Although cucumbers have a low nutritional level of calories, there are other elements with higher levels, such as minerals, water, and vitamins. The health benefits associated with eating cucumbers are weight loss, digestion regulation, lowering blood sugar level, and balances body hydration. People think of cucumber as a vegetable when it is a fruit. It contains antioxidants that prevent various conditions. Cucumbers are also easy to include in a diet. You can eat them in salads, sandwiches or raw like a snack.
How do i remove moisture from the cucumbers?
After slicing the cucumber, put the pieces in a strainer and over a bowl. Also, sprinkle kosher salt on every layer, cover, and put the contents in a refrigerator for a night. Another option may be to soak your cucumbers in saltwater or use a paper cloth or paper towel to cut cucumber pieces on top.